Cold storage is a necessity for many foods, but the chilly air of the fridge can have a negative effect on some healthy favorites. Keep these foods at their best by keeping them out of the fridge. Here are foods you should never store n refrigerator
1. Bananas – According to Canadian Produce Marketing Association, bananas are better kept on the counter until they ripen. The cold temperatures actually slow down the ripening process of the bananas, while the moisture and darkness of the fridge will only facilitate rotting.
2. Water melon – If you haven’t opened your melons, then there’s no need to place them in your fridge. Research has demonstrated that storing melons in room temperatures, will in effect, keep the antioxidants levels the same.
3. Potatoes –Potatoes should be stored in paper bags in cool, dry pantries. Putting them in the fridge can make them taste funny and rot faster.
4.onions –Onions do best in dry, ventilated areas. Keep them away from potatoes, though. These tubers can make onions rot faster.Placing your onions inside your refrigerator will eventually end up turning them moldy and soft.
5. Apples, peaches, nectarines and pears can be kept in a basket in your pantry and will last around a week.
6. Berries – Putting berries in the fridge can make them rot much faster due to moisture. They’ll be fine in a bowl or basket on the counter.
7. Tomatoes -Storing tomatoes in the fridge can alter their flavor and make them rot faster. Keeping them on the counter in a bowl is your best bet.
8.Bread- Bread is best when kept at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag. Storing bread in the fridge speeds up the dehydration process and makes it go stale faster.
9.Avocado-Your avocado won’t ripen? That’s because it’s in the fridge. Putting an unripe avocado on the counter will make it ripen much faster. To really speed up the process, put it in a bag with a banana or apple.
10. coffee -Keep coffee out of the fridge and in a dry, air-tight container in the cupboard.
11 Garlic -Believe it or not, placing garlic in your refrigerator will actually cause it to sprout. The garlic will also get moldy and even rubbery. Moreover, inside your fridge, the look of the garlic will rarely change. This means you won’t be able to tell if it’s any good until you finally slice it open.
12.Honey –Honey is the only food that doesn’t spoil and it doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
13.Cooking oil- Cooking oils can be kept in the pantry, with the exception of nut oils
14. pumpkins – Pumpkins need to be placed in a well ventilated area.
15. Basil – The refrigeration cold will wilt basil a lot faster than normal
16.Fruits like: Apricots, Kiwi, Peaches, Plums and Mangoes- Just like tomatoes and other foods placed in refrigerators have their ripening process stopped, the same goes for these fruits. Kiwi, apricots, mangoes, plums and peaches can also lose their nutrients if placed in a cooler.
17. Peanut –Peanut butter doesn’t need to be refrigerated and can be kept in the cabinet for months, unless it’s organic.
20. Peppers, both spicy and mild, don’t need to go in the fridge. They taste much better when stored open-air in a basket on your counter.