Uwezo fund was Launched in September 2013 through the Legal Notice No. 21 of the Public Finance Management Act, 2014. Uwezo Fund is a vision 2030 flagship program, aimed at enabling Women, Youth, and Persons with disability access finances to promote business and enterprises at a constituency level.
Uwezo Fund provides mentorship opportunities to its beneficiaries thus enabling them to take advantage of the 30% government procurement preference via its Capacity Building Programme.
The Fund, therefore, is an avenue for incubating enterprises, catalyzing innovation, promoting industry, creating employment, and growing the economy.
The Fund is managed by an oversight board at the national level and a Constituency Uwezo Fund Committee (CUFCs) at the constituency level government representatives and members of various Wards.
UWEZO FUND REQUIREMENTS/ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants shall qualify for Fund loan application if
For a group
- It has to be registered with the department of social services, Cooperatives or the Registrar of Societies
- Must have members aged between 18 and 35 years whereas the women’s groups shall be made up of women aged eighteen years and above?
- Is based and operational at the constituency it seeks to make an application for consideration.
- Operates a table banking structure or any other group fund structure where members make monthly contributions according to the groups’ internal guidelines.
- Have an evidence of monthly contributions
- Hold a bank account in the name of the group.
For an institution
- the Institution should be a registered entity and should have listed youth and women groups within it.
UWEZO FUND OBJECTIVES
- To expand access to finance through grants and credit to promote youth and women businesses and enterprises at the constituency level, thereby enhancing economic growth towards the realization of the goals of Vision 2030;
- To generate gainful self-employment for Kenyan youth and women;
- To model an alternative framework in funding community driven development.
HOW TO APPLY FOR UWEZO FUND
- Sign up for Capacity Building Programme once launched
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria
- Fill an application form (this form will be available at the Constituency Uwezo Fund Management Committee office and on the Uwezo Fund website)
- Submit the application form together with relevant documents to the Uwezo Fund Management Committee within your constituency
- Await notification of the Uwezo Fund Management committee
For administration of the Fund
The access by eligible groups of the Fund is on a first come first served basis and is subject to assessment and approval provided that the Committee shall ensure equitable distribution of funds in the words.
Eligible qualifying amounts for a group shall be a minimum Ksh 50,000 and a maximum of Ksh 500,000 at any one time. The following criteria is used to determine the total amount that a group is eligible to receive
- The Length of time the group has been in existence
- Total amount contributed by the group
- Current status of contribution and
- The proposed business plan for the loan applied
Note: The eligible amount shall be three times the group savings BUT it shall not be
- Below Kshs. 50,000 (Minimum).
- More than the amount applied for in the application form and
- More than Kshs. 500,000 (Maximum).
Uwezo Fund Contact Details
Lonrho House, 16th Floor, Standard St.
P. O. Box 42009 – 00100, Nairobi
Call: +254 020 2210557
FREQUENTLY ASKED UWEZO FUNDS QUESTIONS
1. WHAT IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UWEZO FUND AND YOUTHS FUND ?
- Is guided by Public Finance Management (Uwezo Fund) Regulation, 2014
- Trains before receiving the funds is done
- Operates table banking
- Has no interest
- Links the beneficiaries to 30% access to government procurement opportunity
- Offers mentorship progammes to the fund beneficiaries
2. Is there a deadline for the Uwezo Fund application?
6.he group should be made up of how many members?