SSugarcane is a tropical grass that grows well with a lot of water and sun. Its roots are not waterlogged. It can take between 12 – 24 months to mature depending on the climate of the area where they are grown. When harvesting, the stems are chopped off leaving the roots where they re-grow for the next season. The juice is extracted in factories where they convert some to crystals. Other people prefer taking the juice while still raw. Sugar is a global demand which is the major reason for sugarcane farming.
Sugarcane juice nutritional value
The Sugarcane juice per serving 100g: Sugar 73g, Potassium 63g, Sodium 58g, Carbohydrate 73g, Iron 19%, Magnessium 2%, Calcium 1%
Sugarcane health benefits
- Healthy skin – it moisturizes the skin, makes it soft and naturally glowing with its anti-oxidizing agent. It reduces aging signs and wrinkles.
- Its minerals deter bad breath and tooth decay. The calcium in it helps strengthen the enamel.
- Diseases like cancer especially breast and prostate cannot survive in alkaline environments. It also detoxifies the body and strengthens the immune system hence the body is protected from several infections and viruses like cystitis, gonorrhea, kidney stones, dysuria, among others.
- Sugarcane juice is diuretic – ensures proper kidney functioning by treating kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- During pregnancy, it reduces morning sickness symptoms and provides energy. It also manages pressure.
- It is a medication for jaundice as it makes the liver tough
- With its high nutritional value, it adds up to the body fluids thus responds to weariness and dehydration. It produces quick energy.
- Eases constipation – The juice has got basic /alkaline properties that help treat stomach burns and acidity. It also boosts digestion.
- Diabetics need regular check-ups before taking sugarcane juice especially those with diabetes II. It is said that it rarely affects the blood sugar levels because of its low glycemic index. Most doctors recommend sugarcane juice as it contains natural sugars and can help prevent diabetes.
- With its potassium content in it, it protects consumers from heart attacks, strokes and atherosclerosis by lowering blood pressure.
- The natural sugars help in weight loss. With its alkalinity, it burns fats with excessive acidity in the body.
- The potassium, calcium and iron content help strengthen bones.
- The magnesium contents help reduce stress and balance hormonal levels.
In the factories, sugarcane juice is sometimes dried into crystals and packaged for home use. It is in high demand globally. The crystals are mainly used in the kitchen to food stuffs like tea, coffee, blending juices and in baking. Others scrap their faces using the sugar crystals for a glowing and smooth skin.
sugarcane side effects / disadvantages
Excessive consumption of anything is dangerous to our bodies. Sugarcane juice is of no exception. It can cause stomach upsets, nausea, dizziness and insomnia. People with diabetes II need to consult a doctor before consuming sugarcane juice. Any bleeding disorder may also worsen thus advised to consult a doctor too.
drinking sugarcane juice in empty stomach
Sugarcane juice is actually beneficial to health. It is a diuretic and helps cool the body. If you do not have any health condition , you can drink it on a empty stomach. I have done it during road trips n it helps.
can we drink sugarcane juice in an empty stomach ? yes we can
But having said that, the best thing to drink in the morning, and on an empty stomach, is two glasses of warm water.
SUGARCANE BENEFITS IN PREGNANCY
Sugarcane is considered one of the healthiest foods that pregnant women need to incorporate into their daily diet. Here are reasons why pregnant women chew sugarcane;
To trap urinary infection
Pregnant women are more likely to suffer from urinary tract infections. Sugarcane assists in reducing the infections. You can combine sugarcane, lemon juice, and coconut to reap endless benefits.
To strengthen their immune system
Sugarcane comes with antioxidant properties. The properties help in warding off different forms of infection. Individuals who consume more sugarcane juice have a stronger immune system.
To gain more energy
Women need a lot of energy to perform different activities whenever they are pregnant
SUGARCANE JUICE EFFECTS FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
sugarcane juice has high content of sugar and can easily be contaminated posing risk for pregnant women
“This may occur if hygiene standards are not maintained during transportation and storage, or during preparation, especially if the roller-drum crushers, chopping knives, filters and juice collection containers are not washed regularly,” she explains.
“Its high sugar content also attracts flies that may contaminate the juice.”