HIV prevalence rates at Kenyan universities is at worrying trend according to latest statistics. Aids researchers in Kenya say university students are among the high-risk groups, which include teenage girls, long-distance truck drivers, commercial workers, the military and the police.There is strong evidence that infection among university students could continue to rise before it peaks.Studies reveal that in urban areas about 30 per cent of teenage girls aged 15-19 are HIV positive.
At the University of Nairobi, one or two students are dying every week. According to Reports. Figures from the local World Health Organisation reference centre on HIV/Aids indicate that 30 per cent of Kenyan students seeking admission to foreign universities are infected. Here is the ranking of the universities in Kenya with highest HIV prevalence rates.
1. University of Nairobi(UON)- HIV prevalence of 15 percent.
2. Kenyatta university – HIV prevalence of 13 percent
3.Egerton university – HIV prevalence of 11 percent
4. Kisii university – HIV prevalence of 10 percent
5. Jaramogi Oginga Odinga university- HIV prevalence of 9 percent
6. Maseno University-HIV prevalence of 9 percent
7. JKUAT-HIV-prevalence of 8 percent
8. Moi university -HIV prevalence of 7 percent
9.Dedan Kimathi university-HIV prevalence of 6 percent
10. Masinde Muliro University-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
11. Maasai Mara university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
12 Kabianga university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
13 South eastern university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
15 Laikipia university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
16 Karatina universty-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
17 Pwani university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
18 University of eldoret-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
19. Chuka university-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
20. Muiltimedia University.-HIV prevalence of 5 percent
In the private universites
MKU recorded highest with 10 prevalence infection rates while Strathmore university recorded lowest with 2 percent HIV prevalence, arguably the lowest in Kenyan universities.