Prof. PLO Lumumba is an eloquent Kenyan legal practitioner and an Advocate of the High Courts of Kenya and Tanzania. He has received many prestigious Recognition and Awards from local and international renowned organisations and institutions. Further, Prof PLO is trained on Humans Rights at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies University of London in England, Humanitarian Law at the Raoul Wallenberg Institute of the University of Lund, Sweden and on International Humanitarian Law in Geneva, Switzerland.
PLO LUMUMBA BIOGRAPHY
Patrick Loch Otieno Lumumba (born 17 July 1962) is a Kenyan who served as the Director of Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission from September 2010 to August 2011
PLO LUMUMBA EDUCATION
Like any other ordinary boy at his time, he started his elementary education in his ancestral village Usenge and later moved to Nairobi’s St. Patrick school(CPE) and Pumwani Secondary school (O’level). He then successfully completed the then highest level of high school system in the year 1979 at Ambira High school to pave way for University studies which he did and eventually attained his first degree aged 23 and didn’t stop there!
Today, PLO Lumumba holds a Bachelor of Laws and Master of Laws degree from the University of Nairobi and a LL.D (Doctor of Laws) on the Law of the Sea from the University of Ghent, Belgium. He is also a holder of the Degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) from the University of Cape Coast in Ghana.
2004: University of Ghent (Belgium)
Doctor of Philosophy in Law (Ph.D)
1989: University of Nairobi
Master of Laws (LL.M)
Thesis: National Security and Fundamental Rights.
1985: University of Nairobi
Bachelor of Laws LL.B Honours
1985: Kenya School of Law
Post Graduate Diploma
1979 : Ambira High School
1975: Secondary School Student at Pumwani Secondary School, KENYA
(`O’- Level Certificate)
1973: Primary school Student at St. Patrick’s Primary School (Primary VI – VII)
Certificate of Primary Education (CPE)
1969: Primary school Student at Usenge Primary School (Primary I – V)
PLO LUMUMBA CV
Prof. PLO Lumumba has received multiple prestigious recognition and awards within his country Kenya and increasingly internationally. He has also been included in the Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
Awards and Recognition
- 2018: African Luminary Award – African Cultural Association, USA
- 2018: Recognized by The House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in The United States of America for exemplary work in the fight against corruption and bad governance in Africa.
- 2017: 100 most influential Africans of 2017! – New African Magazine
- 2017: The 5th Apollo Milton Obote Lecturer
- 2017 : The 5th Abram Tiro Onkgopotse Lecturer at the University of Limpopo in South Africa
- 2017: The invested Chief Tamba Taylor of Liberia for his Pan Africanist Activities.
- 2016: The 11th Kwame Nkrumah Lecturer at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana.
- 2015: He received commendation from the Law Society of Kenya for exemplary contribution in the provision of pro bono legal services. He has also been awarded the Distinguished Leadership Award by the Africa International University for providing exemplary servant leadership in society
- 2014: The Distinguished Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Lecturer at the University of Dar Es Salaam.
- 2013: Awarded by African International University for providing Exemplary Servant Leadership in the Society.
- 2012: The East African Association of Anti-Corruption Authorities recognized him for valuable and exemplary contribution in the fight against corruption.
- 2012: Awarded Certificate of Merit by The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda.
- 2011: Bishop Okullu of College of Theology of Great Lakes University of Kisumu awarded him the order of St. Pauls the Apostle for restoration of Good governance and right values in society.
- 2008: The Martin Luther King Africa Salute to Greatness Award by the Martin Luther King Jr. Africa Foundation.
- 2008: Awarded certificate by International Peace Foundation.
- 2004: He received commendation from the Kenya Scouts Association for service to the society.
- 2004: Recognized for outstanding commitment to the Society by the Law Society of Kenya.
- 1996: Recognized by the Kenya-USA Association for the Martin Luther King Jnr., Leadership Award.
PLO LUMUMBA WIFE
Plo Lumumba is married to celestine lumumba. While in third year in University of Nairobi , he started dating Celestine, now his wife, who was in second-year then. I was faithful to her and later, we married. They have two children together.
She is the Managing Partner and head of Conveyancing and Commercial Law Department. Celestine attained her law degree from the University of Nairobi and has over 28 years experience in Corporate and Banking Law and General Legal Practice. She obtained her Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law (KSL) and is also a qualified Certified Public Secretary (CPS), a Notary Public, and Commissioner for Oaths and a Human Resource Practitioner. Over the years, Celestine has acquired extensive experience in the areas of Commercial, Conveyancing and Property Law, Banking Law and Finance, Administrative Law, Corporate and Family Law, Employment and Labour Law. She has been with the law firm since inception and is a member of the Institute of Directors (K).
PLO LUMUMBA USED TO WEAR JEANS IN CAMPUS
While in campus, I believed in what I believe right now. That is, I was a slave of my conscience, and not the adolescent tantrums that are common among college students nowadays. I never took part in any strike. I knew that my mind could think something better than being subjected to believe that violence gives birth to solutions.
Right from my Hall 9 No. 413 room at the University of Nairobi where I stayed, I took it upon myself to practice freedom and discipline. I could clean it myself. I woke up early for classes. I never had a case of indiscipline at all. All through my university days, I had to go to church every Sunday at the All Saints Cathedral, something that nourished my Christian faith so well.
I could see many kinds of fashion in college, some funny, some disgusting. Given who I was, I never wore jeans, and to date, I don’t own one. I started donning bishop suits I am known for today while in campus. It became my trademark.
I remained focused in my studies, and one of my favourite lecturers was (the late) Prof H.W.O. Okoth-Ogendo, who taught me land law. Besides, I loved to read. I read widely and wildly.
My colleagues used to drink and go clubbing, but that was not my thing. I never went to a club nor tasted any alcoholic drink. I was a teetotaler, apart from an occasional glass of wine.
My colleagues would ask me why I would not join them, and I always told them that I am simply a prisoner of my conscience!
While in third year, I started dating Celestine, now my wife, who was in second-year then. I was faithful to her and later, we married.
Though I dated, I put lots of effort to my academic work and that is why I graduated with a First Class honours in law in 1985.
PLO LUMUMBA NET WORTH AND WEALTH
he is worthy millions
PLO LUMUMBA PUBLISHED BOOKS
A HAND BOOK ON CRIMINAL PROCEDURE IN KENYA –1998
ii) AN OUTLINE OF JUDICIAL REVIEW IN KENYA –(1999)
iii) MMM AFRICA! (KISWAHILI) 2004. – “
iv) 2ND EDITION OF “A HANDBOOK ON CRIMINAL PROCEDURE IN KENYA – 2006 (LAW AFRICA)
v) 2ND EDITION OF “AN OUTLINE OF JUDICIAL REVIEW IN KENYA – ENGLISH (1999) (LAW AFRICA).
vi) THE QUOTABLE PLO –LUMUMBA
vii) AN INTRODUCTION TO JUDICIAL REVIEW AND ADMINISTRATIVE LAW IN KENYA (forthcoming, (JOMO KENYATTA FOUNDATION)
PLO LUMUMBA PUBLISHED ARTICLES
(i) INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW AND HUMAN RIGHTS LAW
(ii) TERRITORY, CITIZENRY AND NATIONAL PHILOSOPHY IN A
(iv) CONSTITUTION THE STATE, TERRITORY, CITIZENRY AND NATIONAL PHILOSOPHY IN A CONSTITUTION.
(v) THE POTENTIAL AND PITFALLS OF CONSTITUTION MAKING IN A CULTURALLY DIVERSE AND DYNAMIC SOCIETY
(vi) THE KENYAN CONSTITUTION AND ITS CHEQUERED HISTORY
(vii) THE ROLE OF LAW IN SOCIETY.
(viii) NATIONAL CULTURE AND CONSTITUTION REVIEW PROCESS: BRIDGING THE GAP.
- THE INTERPRETATION OF THE 1929 EGYPT-BRITISH NILE WATERS TREATY AND ITS LEGAL RELEVANCE AND IMPLICATIONS ON THE STABILITY OF THE REGION –LSK JOURNAL.
- SENTENCING IN KENYA – LSK JOURNAL
- SELF DETERMINATION: THE CONTINUING CONUNDRUM OF SOUTHERN SUDAN –MAKERERE LAW JOURNAL
- LAW: TRUTH, JUSTICE AND RECONCILIATION COMMISSION – TO BE OR NOT TO BE? – SOUTH AFRICAN LAW JOURNAL
PLO LUMUMBA EDITED ARTICLES
KUHESHIMU SHERIA YA KIMATAIFA KUHUSU MIGOGORO YA KIVITA (INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS – 1999).