LLemon scientific name is citrus limon. They are oval acidic citrus fruits. Their colour range from green to greenish yellow and some have a tip on the bottom while others do not. They are of several varieties, that is, Meyer, Rough lemon, Lisbon, Perrine, Eureka, Santa Teresa, Ponderosa among others. In most cases, they are used with spices and herbs in small quantities. People hardly consume them alone because of their strong sour flavor.
Lemon nutritional value
For every fresh peeled fruit: Calories 27, Moisture 90.1g, Protein 1.1g, Fat 0.3g, Carbohydrates 8.2g, Fiber 0.4g, Ash 0.3g, Calcium 26mg, Phosphorous 16mg, Iron 0.6mg, Sodium 2mg, Potassium 138mg, Vitamin A 20 I.U, Thiamine 0.04mg, Riboflavin 0.02mg, Niacin 0.1mg, Ascorbic acid 53mg
Where Lemons grow
Lemons are usually grown in soils of Ph between 5.5 and 6.5. In case of high acidity, lime is usually applied.
Health of lemons
- Normally people use the juice in hot water, ginger or salt and honey as a cold remedy and for laxativeness but daily usage can cause teeth enamel erosion. Extended usage can reduce teeth to the gum level. When taken with lukewarm water, it helps reduce body weight. It acts as an antiseptic and a muscle foot relaxer if added to warm water.
- Lemon has got flavonoids that are combined with cancer-fighting properties and antioxidants. They help improve skin health, prevent constipation and diabetes.
- Stain remover – lemon juice has been always used for bleaching purposes. Some facial cleansing creams contain the lemon juice as an ingredient.
- Lemonade juice makes one keep cool and calm.
- Oil extracted from the lemon peels is used in colognes, detergents, shampoos, soaps and furniture polishes.
- It is known as a diuretic (increases the frequency of urination hence ensures the kidney functions well thus restricts formation of kidney stones), antiscorbic (prevents scurvy) and febrifuge (fever-reducing). The sweetened juice lessens tongue inflammation, gingivitis.
- Lemon fruit has got much vitamin C which prevents gum infection. If applied to a toothache it relieves pain, stops gum bleeding and freshens breath.
- Dried lemon peels are sold as cattle feed.
- Lemonade is applied to potted plants to keep their flowers fresh for a longer period than the usual.
- Lemon seeds oil has a medicinal value. Boiled roots can treat fever and gonorrhea. The mixture of the back or fruit peel helps relieve stomach pain.
- Its wood is easily carved especially to toys, chess pieces and other articles.
Negative Effects of lemon juice
- Daily usage of lemon juice in hot water can cause enamel erosion. Extended consumption can lower the teeth to the gum level
- Oil form the peels can cause chronic dermatitis to those who handle the process if not carefully done. If exposed to the sun after the oil touches the skin, they show severe reactions.
- The lemon tree has got thorns which pierces painfully and leaves scratches.
- Irritations around the mouths of those who suck the lemons.
- The wood and it saw-dust stimulate skin effects.
lemon juice Fast facts
- Lemons are powerful antioxidants. Its juice can be used on salads, desserts and teas. They are rich in Vitamin C. Asthmatic symptoms are reduced due to the collagens produced by vitamin C. It may also work unfavorably against cancer.
- fruit slices are also served with fish or meat as a garnish.
lemon juice contraceptive
Lemon juice contains citric acid which kills releases. In modern-day studies, the juice has been found to immobilize male releases in less than 60 seconds, making it an effective topical spermicide (or douche).
how can i use lemon juice to prevent pregnancy
Women in the past used sponges soaked in lemon juice to prevent pregnancy. The citric acid in lemons acts as a natural spermicide. The lemon rind itself (with pulp and juice removed) could also be inserted into the vagina and used as a cervical cap. Sounds zingy… Today we reckon lemons are better used to make a gin and tonic.
Lemons aren’t the only citrus fruit with a link to birth control. There are concerns about the effects of eating grapefruit on the birth control pill. We want to put this urban myth to bed once and for all. While the enzymes in the grapefruit prevent the breakdown of estrogen this has not been shown to impact the effectiveness of the pill. However, a surge in estrogen can lead to other side-effects on health, so if you’re on the pill and eat a large quantity of grapefruit, speak to a healthcare professional.
Can Lemonade cause infertility?
The nutrients in this juice — including vitamin C and folate — may boost fertility, although applying it directly to sperm may have deleterious effects. Do not consume fruit juice to treat male infertility without consulting your health care provider
Can lemon juice kill viruses?
Short said laboratory tests found not only does lemon juice kill men release, it also kills the Aids virus itself. Short said using lemonade juice as a contraceptive was not a new idea but it had fallen by the wayside over the years