HHoney is a thick liquid made by bees after visiting different flowers and collect their nectar. Its taste, smell and colour depend on the type of flowers visited. Darker honey happens to have antioxidants and high plant compounds than lighter ones. Raw honey contains traces of wax, pollen and yeast as it is packed directly from the hive. The clear one is that which has been heated and processed to remove the traces.
MEDICINAL USES OF HONEY
For instance, 1 tablespoon of honey that is approximately 20 – 21g contains: sugar 17g, calories 64, and also sucrose, glucose, fructose and maltose. It contains 0g of fat, protein and fiber. It also consists of minerals like potassium, calcium, sodium chloride and iron.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HONEY
- Cough suppressant – studies show that honey outshines cough medicine in cough and sore throat treatment.
- The antioxidants in honey reduce strokes, heart attacks and some other types of cancer.
- Blood pressure (a risk factor to heart diseases) can be reduced by honey through the antioxidants in it.
- Supports the healing of wounds and burns including those after-surgery wounds that have become infected. It helps heal diabetic foot ulcers too.
- Weight loss – hormones that restrain appetite are stimulated by raw honey. It manages cholesterol in the body as it reduces the bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL). It reduces weight discreetly.
- Promotes the healing of both oral and genital Herpes. It effectively reduces itchiness and skin redness.
- Honey increases the frequency of water intake which is helpful during diarrhea.
- Honey when mixed with beeswax and olive oil reduces anal pain and itching plus blood in stool.
- Honey and milk is usually served together for the smoothening and beautifying of the skin. Honey can be used for dandruff and dermatitis relapse.
- Honey is more preferred to refined sugar but it should be moderately consumed as it contains high calories and sugar.
- It boosts memory in women especially those who seek estrogen and progestin therapy.
- Raw honey can be used to reduce seasonal allergies.
- It helps reduce heartburns and stomach acid inflammation.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GUAVA LEAVES AND FRUITS WITH SIDE EFFECTS
Negative effects of honey
- Although it curbs risk factors connected to heart diseases for diabetics, it is not the best as it sometimes can raise sugar levels in the body hence they need to consult doctors before consuming it.
- When applying to wounds, medical advice should be sought first especially those infected after surgery and diabetics.
- Honey is not recommended for children under one year as it may cause botulism which acts like food poisoning to children and may later cause paralysis.
- Sometimes honey can be contaminated if nectar is collected from plants that have been sprayed with pesticides or when the pesticide is directly sprayed to the bee.