This profile of African Women Heads of State aims at telling the other side of their story and most importantly inspiring today and tomorrow’s generations of African woman to be greater than those who came before then
Here is list of powerful female African president in history
1 Slyvie Kiningi, Acting President of Burundi (February – October 1993)
The first female President in Africa was Slyvie Kiningi. She was the Prime Minister of Burundi from February 10, 1993 to October 7, 1994
2. Ivy Matsepe-Cassaburi, Acting President of South Africa (September 2005)
Ivy Matsepe-Cassaburi also served temporarily as the acting President of South Africa when the President and his vice were out of the country for four days in September of 2005. She was also selected by the cabinet to serve as the constitutional and official head of state for an interim period of 14 hours on September 25, 2008
This was the period between the resignation of the current President Thabo Mbeki and the taking of office by the Kgalema Motlanthe.
3 Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia ( January 2006 – January 2018)
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is Africa’s first elected President who served two consecutive terms after winning the 2005 and 2011 Presidential elections
4. Rose Francine Rogombe, Interim President of Gabon (June 2009 – October 2009)
Rose Francine Rogombe served as interim President of Gabon from June 2009 to October 2009 after the death of President of Omar Bongo
5. Agnes Monique Ohsan Bellepeau, Acting President of Mauritius (March – July 2012 and May – June 2015)
Agnes Monique Ohsan Bellepeau was the Acting President of Mauritius from March 31, 2012 – July 21, 2012. This was the transition period
6. Joyce Hilda Banda, President of Malawi (April 2012 – May 2014)
Joyce Hilda Banda served as President of Malawi from April 7, 2012 to May 31, 2014 following the death of President Bingu wa Mutharika.
7. Catherine Samba, Acting President of Central African Republic (January 2014 – March 2016)
Catherine Samba Panza was the Acting Head of State of the Central African Republic from 2014 to 2016.
8. Ameenah Gurib-Fakim, President of Mauritius (June 2015 – March 2018)
Ameenah Gurib-Fakim was the first female President of Mauritius from 2015 to 2018
9. Sahle-Work Zewde, President of Ethiopia ( October 2018 – Present)
Sahle-Work Zewde is the first elected female President of Ethiopia and currently the only female out of the 54 Presidents in Africa
This is a prove that that a man can do a woman can do better.