Home health tips 6 SWEET FOODS THAT ARE DANGEROUS AND CAN KILL YOU

6 SWEET FOODS THAT ARE DANGEROUS AND CAN KILL YOU

From the contents of your kitchen cupboards to famous delicacies from around the world, there are many foods that are delicious but potentially deadly. Learn what you should watch out for before taking a bite.

1 Kidney Beans

Kidney beans contain high levels of phytohemagglutinin, making them toxic. Cooking the beans thoroughly gets rid of the poison, but eating even a few undercooked beans can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. The US FDA advise boiling for 30 minutes to completely breakdown the toxin. Canned kidney beans are pre-cooked and completed safe to eat from the tin, so put these in your chilli if you’re of a nervous disposition.

2 Irish potatoes

Don’t eat green Irish potatoes. The green parts contains a poison called solanine, which can cause serious illness if eaten in large quantities. The leaves, stem, and sprouts of the potato plant contain glycoalkaloids, found throughout the nightshade family (a flowering plant category). So just be careful when you’re making wedges, guys.

3 Peanuts

Around 1 per cent of the US population has a peanut allergy, making it one of the most common kinds of allergy. If you’re seriously allergic and ingest a peanut in any form (including oil) or even inhale peanut proteins in the air, you become very ill. In the UK, restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman was jailed for six years after a takeaway from his restaurant containing powdered nuts caused Paul Wilson, 38, to suffered a severe anaphylactic shock and die in January 2014. WHAT TO DO WHEN DOG CHASES YOU

4 Hot Dogs

Issues with the dubious meat content found in cut-price hot dogs aside, choking is a very real hazard when eating this American classic. Johns Hopkins University reported that hot dogs are the number one cause of choking-related injuries in children under three. Chew slowly and cut them into bite sized pieces before serving.

5 Nutmeg

This Christmassy spice, which adds its delicate flavour to custards, bechamel and rice pudding, is a hallucinogenic if eaten in large enough quantities. It can cause convulsions, palpitations and nausea, not to mention visual distortions and a sense of paranoia. Maybe steer clear of having that 10th glass of eggnog, as it takes only around 2-3 teaspoons of the ground spice to have an effect. It’s also highly toxic to dogs.

6 Mushroom

Some fungi are anything but fun. With names like the ‘death cap’ and ‘destroying angel’, these mushrooms aren’t messing around. As a rule, if you aren’t 100 per cent sure of what you’re eating, especially if you’ve picked something yourself, don’t risk it. Deadly mushrooms often look uncannily like edible ones, and even experts can find it hard to tell the difference.

Author Nicholas Evans and his family nearly died of liver failure after picking the deadly webcap variety. In the US, 14 people were poisoned in San Francisco after eating death cap mushrooms, three needed a liver transplant, including an 18-month-old baby

Loading...